|Posted by cloudyhn on March 5, 2012 at 12:30 AM|
It's been soooo long since my first weekend project posted. Well I'm still making my clothes, so far I finished 5 more dresses, top and skirts. But my laptop was down in last 2 months, I could not do anything other than checking my stuff from Iphone. Here I am, i got the laptop fixed and starting to load my stuffs up I will get others posted when I got the photos done.
This dress was made for Valentine's Day. I've done it during Thursday evening and couple hours on Sunday. We had such a busy and special week /weekend: my husband birthday, our wedding annyversary then Valentine's Day.
We had a small party at work for Valentines, cakes, chocolates... red and pink colors were seen everywhere. It was fun and I think we all enjoyed it.
I fell in love with this fabric. Believe me the dress's cost is not over $7. It was tretching lycra (inside layer) and pressured bonded lycra (outside layer), basically 2 layers with a shiny, a bit of glitery and leather look. The sleeves were black mesh fabric (not stretching) combined with jersey leather look-a-like knit. The dress is more beautiful with oversize self bowtie on V-neck. It's flexible to use as simple front tie (like man's tie) or a scarf cross over the shoulder.
The dress's construction was very simple. The bodice was stitched in front center as a tube. Of course I had to measure it fit my hip round and the length that I desired. Then with basic construction, I draw down where the waist line, bust line, shoulder line lay on fabric and then the width fit with my shoulder and bust' measurements. Next, cut out arm-holes for sleeves
The most difficult was to create darts for waist fitting and the dress's form. So I decided to have 2 hidden darts at the back, and 2 front darts with 2 paralell top-stitched lines which started from bust's points, going down (angle) to outside hip points. I'm very pleased with this front darts which created very flattering, clean cut and a nice form for the bodice's front.
The shouder part was a bit different. The shoulder on front bodice was cut short 3 cm, so I gave the shoulder on back bodice an extra 3 cm to go over and attached in front , then parallel top-stitched . To get stronger look, I used shoulder pads for this dress The band for bowtie was 10-inch width folded stiched from between these shoulder attached lines and back neck. From there the band was opened as its full size with zig-zag edge.
There were 2 layers at sleeve's wrist and I used zig-zag scisors to cut out the edges, top layer was a bit shorter to show double edges.
I love this dress and defenitely it was a hit at work for Valentine's Day. Hope you all like it.
V.V.MODE - Designs and Life Styles - DIY without pattern
"More than just sewing" - Cloudyhn